Sunday 1 September 2013

Pulling Teeth / Irons Split 12"

I think it was about two years ago that this split was released. At the time I wasn't collecting records, and it was only just recently that I picked it up. I had heard the tracks when they first came out back in '11 and I thought it was time I owned a physical copy. More so for the Pulling Teeth side, I'd like to have a copy of all their releases some day...
So this is a split between one well known band (to the scene anyway) and one much more mysterious band. Most people here should know and appreciate the awesomeness that was Pulling Teeth, but I wouldn't blame you for being a bit rusty on knowledge about Irons. They were (are?) a side project of Dwid Hellion, Jacob Bannon of Converge/Deathwish fame and Stephen Kasner. Based on that you might think it'd be a hybrid of Converge/Integrity style music, but you would be way wrong. Instead this is a kind of noise/instrumental/ambient project. In all honesty it is not my favourite to listen to, but it has proven well for times when you just need to chill out and empty your mind.
But back to Pulling Teeth. They contribute two tracks to the 12", just breaking 12 minutes. "Generals of Dark Hymns" is a fantastic song and is really up there in terms of my favourite PT tracks. There is also a remix of Dismissed in Time (form Martyr Immortal) done by Jacob Bannon.
I'm also not too big a fan of the artwork, I don't really get it. What I do appreciate though is the vinyl. It is a great picture disc that looks awesome in your hands. As far as I can see one side is just a wash of white and red, but the other side is a picture of a particularly twisted looking individual.
It is limited to 1000 copies, but there doesn't seem to be any shortage of supply even after these two years...

No comments:

Post a Comment