Sunday 15 September 2013

Discreet Doll Band - Disposable 7"

When Idoneum Bello released the Cvlt of the 7 Crowns mixtape a while back, there was an interesting track from a group called the Discreet Doll Band. The sort of garage-rock sound was a nice break from the savage assault of Gehenna and Sangraal, and it certainly caught my attention. I then set out in my usual way and tried to track down more releases by the band. I think it took a little while, but I was able to get my hands on a copy of their first 7", Back in Business via Discogs. It had three great tracks, and when I posted about it Evan from Erratic suggested I try get their 2nd 7" as well. It took me a while, but I have finally been able to track it down.
Information about this on the internet was rather scarce. Even the label that put this out didn't seem to have much info. I then turned to Ebay and discogs, with no avail. Hell, discogs didn't even have an entry on the band profile for it (until very very recently). I then stumbled across another website that I was yet to come across, Gemm. Someone was selling a copy here, so I jumped at the chance to order it. It has certainly made a nice addition to my growing collection.
The outer sleeve is quite a bit more interesting than the first 7". It is a little disturbing, and the character looks somewhat like Marilyn Manson, but I do quite like it. The rear also has a band photo and track listing.
The vinyl is pretty no-frills once again, plain black vinyl with orange labels. Also again they have gone for the large centre holes that require an adapter. Usually these were for 45's, and seeing as this is a 33 RPM record I don't really see the point. As far as I know there is only a black version in existence, although I could easily be wrong. As I said, there is very little info out there.

Musically it's an other great 7". There are four tracks of the same lo-fi kind of garage-rock that was present in the "Back to Business" EP, that total just over 9 minutes. The second track, "Card Shark" is my definite favourite on the EP, and has stuck in my head on several occasions already.

No comments:

Post a Comment