Sunday 3 August 2014

Martyr's Tongue - Tape

A couple of weeks ago, I posted about a new tape from a band named Unit Togo. In the post I mentioned the band contained members from several places, with one of those being Martyr's Tongue. For whatever reason, Martyr's Tongue was a band that I had heard of for a while, but just never really sat down and actually listened to. In more ways than one, I feel I have been missing out, because now that I have actually listened to them, they are fantastic.
This tape comprises the band's first EP, the tracks from a 3-way split, and a cover of Nirvana's "Tourettes". This is the first time the "Cease to Exist EP" has made its way onto a physical format, and as I mentioned before I can't believe I was foolish enough to not listen to these guys sooner. With what can only be described as Puerto Rican Holy Terror, the band have produced 11 tracks of the some of the heaviest, fastest and most crushing tracks in my collection so far. There are come quite clear influences in there, but it never sounds like a complete emulation of records gone by, but rather quite a fresh entry into to the world of metallic hardcore.

 Head2Wall records are behind this great release, who have released two versions of the tape. 70 were produced on a clear tape, and 30 on the green (which was exclusive to H2W). At the time of my purchase, green were still available, but I bet they did not last that long.
It is often difficult to go that extra mile with tape packaging, but this does contain an insert with the lyrics on the back, and two free badges. The left badge is clearly the band's logo, with the one on the right being a Jason mashup of the classic H2W logo.

No comments:

Post a Comment