Saturday 6 April 2013

A389 Recordings MMXIII Digital Mixtape

I can't believe it has been an entire year since the last amazing A389 sampler. Seriously, that is just ridiculous. I think maybe the label simply had too much awesome stuff to unleash upon us that they've somehow shifted the space-time continuum forward by a few months.
But as much as I doubt time is able to move that quickly, it has been another year. I enjoyed writing up last year's sampler so much that I decided to give it another go this year. I think I'll just note my highlights for now, it's actually quite a mammoth task to go through each individual song, there are 40 you know...
Iron Reagan waste no time getting straight into a thick trashy hardcore number with "Drop The Gun". I've sort of dismissed Iron Reagan up until this point, but for the life of me I can't think why. This track might just be enough to get me started (and probably obsessed) with the band.
Perhaps what I was most excited about with this sampler was the new track by the almighty Integrity. This comes straight from their new yet to be released album, Suicide Black Snake. The track is entitled "Beasts As Gods", which should probably at least sound familiar to you.While technically not a new track, it is a great re-recording from Detonate VVorld's Plague released back in 2011. Dwid's vocals sound perfect, and that solo at 0:57 still sends shivers down my spine.
Next up is "Foreign Lander" from Ilsa. These guys have been my latest band obsession thanks to the amazing album Intoxications, which this track is directly from. If this doesn't get you into the band, I don't think anything will.
Another big highlight of the sampler is "Ghost Plains" from Seven Sisters of Sleep, which is straight from their new LP, Opium Morals (which will hopefully arrive soon!!). This track encompasses everything the band has brought to their tracksover the last couple of years and more. They've also experimented with their vocals a bit and introduced more deeper growls which sound utterly perfect. 
Then we have the self-titled track from Shin to Shin. From the few tracks I've heard from these guys over the years, I have been keen to see a full length or an EP or something. Apart from the split with PT there has been nothing, maybe this year will finally be the lucky year. If this track is something to go by it'll definitely be worth the wait.
Then we have a brand new track from The Love Below! "Let Them Eat Shit" perfectly sums up the frantic style the band has crafted so well. The first 8 seconds hit you with furious speed, while the rest of the track takes a much slower approach. The vocals are as twisted and full of desperation as ever too.
The best surprise of the entire sampler was a brand new track from Unholy Majesty! I've been waiting for some new material by these guys and it looks like if something new does come out it'll be amazing. "Night of Lead" picks up right where their fantastic demo/7" took off and just leaves me wanting more.
Powerviolence beats are blasted through the speakers at the hand of Eddie Brock. Their track is entitled "Boys of Summer", which made me excited for another cover track in vein of their recent Paramore cover. Sadly it isn't, but it is one great furious track.
Pharoah sneak in with a new track, "Spared", right towards the end. In keeping with their sound, this is heavy as and long enough to include some amazing sections without ever getting boring. Maybe we'll finally see a 12" from these guys?
Right at the end there is a sudden change of pace where Dom takes time to highlight the lighter side of A389. Nothing's "The Rites of Life and Death" is a slow acoustic number from their recent LP on the label. It's really great to calm you down after the adrenalin thrill ride that precedes it.
Things are then finished with "Friday Night" from Pleasant Living. I had decided I wasn't fussed about this band, but the song on here is a great (dare I say pop-punk?) track. The gritty vocals sound just about perfect to.

There is a lot more great stuff on here, but I just haven't the time to go through it all.Overall it is a great sampler, but then again of course it is. I think it's safe to say this has locked me in to buying a lot of A389 records over the next year, even possibly some ones I had previously disregarded. The whole thing is entirely free to download, so go ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment